What to expect from your first visit to an Obstetrician
What is an Obstetrician?
An obstetrician is a doctor who specialises in pregnancy, childbirth and a woman’s reproductive system. Obstetricians are able to take care of you throughout your pregnancy and provide follow up care in the years following child birth.
During pregnancy, obstetricians:
- Monitor the health of your child, conducting regular tests
- Regularly check for health conditions that may cause problems during pregnancy, such as high blood pressure, diabetes and other genetic disorders
- Provide advice about dieting, exercise, medications and staying healthy
- Help you cope with common symptoms of pregnancy, such as morning and sickness, pain and other common complaints
When should I first visit an obstetrician?
As soon as you believe you’re pregnant! Here an initial physical examination is conducted to ensure that all of your needs are met, and that you can receive immediate care. Generally, most practitioners won’t schedule a visit until around the two month mark during pregnancy, or if you are experiencing symptoms such as vaginal bleeding, abdominal pain, or server nausea and vomiting.
The sooner you schedule an appointment with your obstetrician the smoother your pregnancy journey will be, as they will determine the most effective treatment plan for you.
How do I choose which obstetrician is best for me?
It is important that you choose a doctor that is as closely aligned to your preferences as possible. You need to ask yourself a number, these may include:
- Will I be more comfortable with a male or female doctor?
- What are the fees associated with my specific treatment?
- Will my doctor support my desire to aim for a drug free birth?
- Will my doctor support hypnobirthing?
It is absolutely imperative that you ask as many questions as possible to ensure that you choose the obstetrician that is most suited to you, whilst also ensuring your pregnancy journey is as comfortable as possible.
Dr Neil Wallman, your obstetrician expert on the Gold Coast at John Flynn Hospital
Doctor Neil Wallman is your experienced Obstetrician and Gynaecologist on the Gold Coast with over 30 years’ experience in delivering babies. Operating out of the John Flynn Hospital, Dr Wallman offers his patients’ comprehensive services in all aspects of Obstetrics, both high and low risk.
Offering the highest level of expertise and care in the management of expectant mothers, Dr Wallman offers his expertise in calm birthing, water births and hypnobirthing, to ensure that each and every one of his patients experience a positive and reassuring pregnancy.
Dr Wallman offers highly experienced care across a wide range of Obstetric services, including:
- Pre-pregnancy planning
- Pregnancy management
- Vaginal deliveries
- Caesarean section deliveries
- High-risk pregnancy management
- IVF pregnancy
- Vaginal birth after a caesarean section
- Breast feeding
- Recurrent miscarriages
- Pregnancy of multiple babies