Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
What is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (or PCOS/PCOD) is an area of interest for Dr Wallman, and he is passionate about helping women manage this condition. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome affects 10% of women and can cause a number of concerns such as infertility.
Explaining Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
PCOS is related to a hormone imbalance, resulting in:
- An irregular menstrual cycle
- Multiple Cystic Ovaries
- Difficulty becoming pregnant
- Pregnancy problems – gestational diabetes, pregnancy related high blood pressure or premature labour
- High blood levels of insulin – increased weight
- Acne and increased hair growth
There are a number of different methods Dr Wallman may use to diagnose PCOS. Some of these methods include:
- Blood tests to determine a hormone imbalance
- Ultrasound to look for ovary cysts
Treatment of PCOS can involve a number of different steps. Some lifestyle steps can be taken including:
- Reduce weight if overweight
- Treat excess insulin diet/exercise and medication
Medication can be provided to help treat and manage PCOS. Medication is used to:
- To reduce insulin
- To help ovulation e.g. Clomid
- IVF (where possible)
For some patients surgery can be the best option. The surgery will include:
- Laparoscopy – diathermy or burning of cysts
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a condition affecting women of reproductive age that can be managed effectively in most patients. With early diagnosis and good management of the disorder, a patient’s long-term risks can be often prevented or significantly delayed.
Compassionate and experienced care with Dr Wallman
Dr Wallman is happy to answer any questions you may have regarding Infertility and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or any other condition regarding women’s health.
If you are looking for a caring and experienced Gynaecologist that can help manage PCOS on the Gold Coast, please contact us today.